The right laundry detergent will help Airbnb hosts keep their rental properties clean and well-maintained for guests. A good brand can effectively remove stains and odors, leaving linens fresh and clean. A bad laundry detergent may not clean effectively, leading to disappointed guests and potentially damaging the reputation of the rental property. To help you maintain your Airbnb, here are our top picks for the best detergent to buy.
The best Airbnb laundry detergents include:
- Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent: Best overall laundry detergent
- Arm & Hammer Plus OxiClean Laundry Detergent: Best budget detergent
- Charlie’s Soap Laundry Liquid: Best all-natural detergent
- All Mighty Pacs Laundry Detergent: Best single-use detergent
- Tide With Downy Laundry Detergent Liquid Soap: Best scented detergent
- Tide Plus Ultra Stain Release Liquid Laundry Detergent: Best for deep cleaning
How We Selected the Best Airbnb Laundry Detergents
We considered 6 factors when deciding on the best laundry detergents for Airbnb and vacation rentals. We based our list on host recommendations, online reviews, ingredients, price, bottle size, and scent.
We evaluated these Airbnb laundry detergents based on:
- Host Recommendations: We asked Airbnb hosts to find detergents that are popular and effective for use in their vacation rental properties.
- Online Reviews: Then, we looked through reviews online to see if other customers had similar positive experiences.
- Ingredients: We checked the ingredients of each detergent to ensure that they are suitable for use by a wide range of guests, including those with sensitivities.
- Price: We looked at the price to help identify budget-friendly options for use in a rental setting.
- Bottle size: Of course, with price comes bottle size: each of the detergents we picked comes in large enough bottles that won’t be depleted quickly.
- Scent: Finally, we considered scent to determine which ones are most pleasing to a wide number of guests.
According to our criteria the best laundry detergent for Airbnb hosts is Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent. This relatively affordable detergent cleans well, with hypoallergenic ingredients that will suit even the most sensitive of guests.
1. Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent: Best Overall Detergent
For a hypoallergenic pick that guests will love, try the Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent. Get a 2-pack on Amazon, starting at $29.94.
This gentle detergent is fantastic for sensitive skin, and is free from fragrances, dyes, and synthetic brighteners.
Because of its stellar ingredients, we’re not surprised that it only comes in 40 and 60 oz. bottles. Both options will get you less than 100 loads–not too great, considering the amount of washing an Airbnb host has to do.
Despite being 96% plant-based, it is effective at removing stains and is safe for septic systems, making it suitable for a variety of different rental properties. Note that this detergent is concentrated. Useless you’re used to using it, use less than you usually would.
2. Arm & Hammer Plus OxiClean Laundry Detergent: Best Budget-Friendly Option
If you need a laundry detergent that’s tough on stains yet easy on the wallet, the Arm & Hammer Plus OxiClean Laundry Detergent is for you. Get a 2-pack starting at $34.99 on Amazon.
For less than $20, you can get 128 loads with this supersized bottle.
Customers note the bottles crack and leak easily, which leaves a huge mess if you’re not careful. It’ll keep your linens clean with its key ingredient, the stain-fighting OxiClean. The detergent is also safe for any washing machine.
Shipping may damage the bottles, so open the package carefully.
3. Charlie’s Soap Laundry Liquid: Best All-Natural Laundry Detergent
Charlie's Soap Laundry Liquid is an eco-friendly pick that’s great to use for sensitive skin. Get a gallon on Amazon, or find it for $26.99 on the Charlie’s Soap website.
It’s biodegradable and hypoallergenic, and free from fragrances, dyes, and phosphates. Though it’s free from any nasty chemicals, it may not be as effective at brightening colors as some other detergents.
It is suitable for use on all washable fabrics and can be used in both high efficiency and standard washing machines. Despite only having 4 ingredients, it is effective at removing stains and odors.
Note that Charlie's Soap Laundry Liquid is a concentrated formula, so it should be used in smaller quantities compared to other detergents.
4. All Mighty Pacs Laundry Detergent: Best Pod Detergent
All Mighty Pacs Laundy Detergent is the best option that comes in easy-to-use pods. Get 2 large tubs on Amazon for $50.14.
This is 100% from dyes and perfumes, making it suitable for use by guests with sensitivities.
It may be more expensive to use compared to liquid or powder detergents, as the cost is based on the number of individual packets used rather than the overall volume of detergent.
Hosts and maintenance staff can skip the hassle of having to measure out the detergent. This is a convenient, single-dose laundry detergent that comes in pre-measured packets.
Keep in mind that these pods take a while to dissolve in colder temperatures.
5. Tide With Downy Laundry Detergent Liquid Soap: Best for Scent
For long-lasting scents that will leave your linens smelling great, we recommend Tide With Downy Laundry Detergent Liquid Soap. Get a bottle for $12.97 on Amazon.
It is formulated to remove stains and leave linens clean and fresh, and it also includes Downy fabric softener to help reduce static and add a pleasant scent.
It may not be suitable for those with sensitivities to fragrances, as it contains a scented fabric softener. This keeps linens extremely fresh and is affordable and easily available–perfect for an Airbnb host that wants to use the same detergent across multiple properties.
We do not recommend this detergent for high efficiency washing machines, as the fabric softener can leave a residue that can lead to poor performance.
6. Tide Plus Ultra Stain Release Liquid Laundry Detergent: Best for Cleaning
For a tough detergent that will get rid of any stain, try the Tide Plus Ultra Stain Release Liquid Laundry Detergent. Get a 46 fl oz. bottle for $18.06 on Amazon.
It can remove 99% of everyday stains and odors, and has a pleasant, subtle scent. Despite its subtle fragrance, it may not be suitable for guests with sensitive skin.
It’s effective and can be used in both high efficiency and standard washing machines.
The Tide Plus Ultra Stain Release Liquid Laundry Detergent is not suitable for use on silk or other delicate fabrics, as it may cause fading or damage.
It might not seem like it, but laundry detergent is a very important consideration for Airbnb hosts looking to keep their rental properties clean and well-maintained. There are a variety of laundry detergents available, and it can be overwhelming to choose the best one for your needs. However, these 6 detergents offer a range of benefits–such as hypoallergenic formulas, effective stain removal, and pleasant scents–that will ensure the satisfaction of any guest.
Save money and get more options when you use an Amazon Business Account for your Airbnb purchases. It’s the perfect way to keep track of your business-related purchases and it’s completely free.